Brian J Boyes LRPS & SINWP is a Bunessan based wildlife photographer. He was trained by Durham Constabulary as a Crime Scene Photographer and since retiring from the Police Service 10 years ago has become a multi award winning photographer and much of his work has been published in National Newspapers and the RPS Nature magazine. He is a member of the Royal Photographic Society and the Society for International Nature & Wildlife Photographers where he has achieved Licentiate awards in both Societies
Professional Wildlife Photographer and guide
Brian is an award winning, passionate wildlife photographer who is dedicated to getting you the best shots possible.
- Favourite photo: Anything with an otter in it
- Favourite location: Mull, Scotland
- Trip content: General briefing to include non-disclosure signing, otter behaviour, fieldcraft, technique, finding the wildlife and taking some photos
- Mammals: Otters, Stags, Hare
- Raptors: White tailed eagle, Golden eagle, Hen harrier, Short eared owl
- Sea birds: Great Northern Diver, Eider duck
- Freelance: Available
Trips & workshops
All of my trips and workshops are always bespoke, but here are some sample itineraries
Introduction to wildlife photography
This workshop is focused on getting you off auto mode and taking better photos. We will cover the exposure triangle, looking at the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO, trying to understand when and how to manipulate each one. We will look at composing shots, both landscape and wildlife and theory such as the rule of thirds and golden ratio and their role in composition. We will also look at post processing with Adobe Lightroom and Topaz Denoise.
- Exposure triangle
- Setting up shots and the rule of thirds
1 day otter trip
A one day otter spotting and photography trip based in the South of Mull
- A great chance to watch and photo the beautiful otters of Mull
- My focus is to get you that awesome otter photo that you can be proud of for years to come
- Otters are my passion and I spend most of my life with these wonderful creatures
- This is generally a 1:1 trip, so completely focused on you
I love wildlife photography, but my passion is otters
I love showing people the otters of Mull and below are just a few of the many happy clients over the years
An amazing day out with Brian Boyes today finding otters.
We had a really informative and enjoyable day out with Brian Boyes earlier in the month. Thanks for the tips and boosting my confidence.
Hazel Jonker Clifton
Brian passed on so much knowledge about the wildlife and the island.
Thank you Brian for sharing your knowledge, time and patience. I had the best of times.
Michael C Cantrell
Just spent a couple of days with the amazing Brian Boyes! He is so knowledgeable about the wildlife on Mull and so considerate of its needs. Thank you so much Brian
A great day with Brian Boyes very knowledgeable professional guy. Brian is passionate and respectful of the wildlife. You leave with so much knowledge not only about your camera techniques but also about all the wildlife.
We all had absolutely amazing days and have so many images to sort through once home. Brian is highly recommended if you want a truly memorable photographic day out.
If you would like to arrange a tour or look at buying one of my photographs, please get in touch.
Bunessan, Mull, Scotland